I am an NMSU Alumni that graduated from the Chemical Engineering Department in May 1996. I am currently working for Los Alamos National Laboratory as the program lead for NPDES Industrial and Sanitary Outfall Compliance. I am writing you today to let you know that we have a student Post-Bac position in the Spill Prevention Control & Countermeasure (SPCC)/Aboveground Storage Tank (AST) Environmental Compliance Program. Post-Bac positions are ideal for students who want to work for 1 – 2 years prior to starting graduate school. Our goal is to ultimately hire the student after graduate school as full time staff. Attached to this email is the job description. It is available through the LANL External website (jobs.lanl.gov) and is listed under the Student-Post Bachelor heading (specific job ad is IRC75514).
I thought you might know a December graduate or someone already in graduate school that is interested in the position. Please feel free to pass this job description on to other departments, as appropriate.
NPDES Industrial and Sanitary Outfalls
LANL – Environmental Protection & Compliance
Job Title Post Bachelors ST
Organization Name EPC-CP/Environmental Protection & Compliance- Environmental Compliance
What You Will Do
The Environmental Protection and Compliance Division, Environmental Compliance Group (EPC-CP), Water Quality (WQ) Team provides institutional technical leadership and direction to line organizations for compliance with federal, state, and local environmental regulations and executive orders, including legal agreements, orders, and directives. The Environmental Professional reports to and receives direction from the WQ Team Leader and Group Management. This position will support primarily support EPC-CP Above ground Storage Tank (AST) and Spill Prevention Control and Countermeasures (SPCC) Program Lead with documentation of compliance inspections as well as tracking and trending of inspection findings to support operational excellence. The position will also support other WQ Team programs including but not limited to NPDES, Planned and Unplanned Releases, Groundwater Discharge Permitting, and FIFRA/NPDES PGP.
What You Need
Minimum Job Requirements:
- Experience working effectively as part of a team.
- Basic experience using Power Point, Excel Spreadsheets, and MS Word.
- Basic knowledge of environmental programs and terminology.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, organize and execute non-complex tasks with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate in a clear concise manner with superiors, peers, customers, and other personnel.
- Demonstrate problem solving skills.
- Detail oriented when dealing with complicated regulations and systems.
- Ability to follow and complete a predefined process
- An understanding of how to effectively communicate information
- Willingness to assist and support other team members as needed
- Familiarity with federal and state petroleum storage tank regulations
- Experience with GIS
Education: Recent BS degree in Environmental Science or related field while maintaining a minimum of 3.0 GPA.
Notes to Applicants: For full consideration, applicants must submit a resume, transcript, and comprehensive cover letter addressing qualifications and experience related to each of the job requirements (Minimum Job Requirements and Desired Skills) of the position.
Where You Will Work
Located in northern New Mexico, Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is a multidisciplinary research institution engaged in strategic science on behalf of national security. LANL enhances national security by ensuring the safety and reliability of the U.S. nuclear stockpile, developing technologies to reduce threats from weapons of mass destruction, and solving problems related to energy, environment, infrastructure, health, and global security concerns.
This position is located in the Environmental Protection and Compliance Division, Environmental Compliance Programs Group. This group provides compliance and permitting services for the Laboratory including Water Quality, Storm Water, and Air Quality. This is a diverse and dynamic group and this position will ensure effective implementation and integration of these programs to support Laboratory mission. Group members work within a diverse setting of project activities, environmental conditions, and regulatory requirements and DOE orders.
No Clearance: Position does not require a security clearance. Selected candidates will be subject to drug testing and other pre-employment background checks.
New-Employment Drug Test: The Laboratory requires successful applicants to complete a new-employment drug test and maintains a substance abuse policy that includes random drug testing.
For general program information refer to the Student Programs web page.
Los Alamos National Laboratory is an equal opportunity employer and supports a diverse and inclusive workforce. All employment practices are based on qualification and merit, without regards to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or preference, marital status or spousal affiliation, physical or mental disability, medical conditions, pregnancy, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, or citizenship within the limits imposed by federal laws and regulations. The Laboratory is also committed to making our workplace accessible to individuals with disabilities and will provide reasonable accommodations, upon request, for individuals to participate in the application and hiring process. To request such an accommodation, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-505-665-4444 option 1.
Instructions on How to Activate/Create a LANL Jobs Account:
Follow the instructions below if you have ever had an employee Z number, been a contractor, or received Los Alamos Lab insurance coverage to activate your account:
- Select the Click Here button if you have been employed with the Lab or received insurance coverage.
- Please enter only your first and last name and current email address (an email with your validation code will be sent to you) to activate the account currently in our system.
- Enter your validation code as described in the email you receive and complete the 3-page registration form. Your account is now active and you can apply for jobs or save to your basket. Important: Enter the validation code within 15 days to activate your account or your account will be deactivated.
Follow the instructions below if you if you have never been employed with the Lab or received insurance coverage to create an account:
- Select the Register button if you have never been employed with the Lab or received insurance coverage to Create an Account.
- From here, you will establish an account with username and password.
How to Apply: Login to Your Account to Complete the Application Process
- Click the Vacancy Name number (in blue) to view any job’s details.
- Click Apply or Add to Basket to apply later. Tip: To apply for a job or save your basket, you must have a LANL jobs account.
If you experience any technical issues, please email email@example.com for assistance.
Appointment Type UGS
Posting Scope External