Good afternoon Prof. Rockstraw,
I’m the outreach coordinator for the Illinois Materials Research Science and Engineering Center (I-MRSEC, http://mrsec.illinois.edu ) at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and we are hosting an NSF-sponsored Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) program for the summer of 2019. I thought you might know of students at New Mexico State who would be good candidates to apply to our program, which spans physics, materials science, chemistry, biology, and other areas of engineering. I would very much appreciate if you would share information about our program with students there. We have both experimental and computational projects available, with interdisciplinary topics that could interest students studying physics, materials, chemistry, biology, engineering, or related fields.
I’ve provided information below that could be included in an e-mail announcement, and I’ve also attached a flyer announcement that could be sent or posted if you wish.
I really appreciate your time.
The I-MRSEC ( http://mrsec.illinois.edu ) will be hosting an NSF sponsored Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) program for the summer of 2019. Undergraduate students accepted into the program will come to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in Urbana, IL to spend the summer carrying out cutting-edge, meaningful scientific research under the mentorship of I-MRSEC faculty in an interdisciplinary environment on experimental and computational projects related to metallic antiferromagnetic materials and 2D nanomaterial interfaces.
- Program dates: May 28 – August 2nd, 2019
- Compensation: Students receive a $5,000 stipend, plus housing, some meals, and travel funds
- Students studying materials science, physics, chemistry, mechanical engineering, or related disciplines are encouraged to apply.
- Application deadline: February 15, 2019
- Open to U.S. citizens and permanent residents 18 years old or older who are currently enrolled in 2- or 4-year programs, will complete their sophomore year by June 2019, and will not complete a bachelors before Fall 2019.
- Additional information and application can be found here: https://mrsec.illinois.edu/reu-program