Dear Faculty Advisors and Department Heads,
We ask your assistance in encouraging undergraduate engineering students to apply for Fall 2017 openings in the National Science Foundation S-STEM scholarship program at NMSU. (See eligibility criteria below.)
The S-STEM program currently supports a cohort of academically talented engineering students who demonstrate financial need for up to eight (8) semesters. With its embedded Cohort Academic and Professional Experience (CAPE), the program includes individualized self-assessment and monitoring, one-on-one relationships with faculty mentors, academic success workshops, self-efficacy training, and metacognitive self-awareness and self-study skills. Scholarship amounts vary among recipients based on the financial need of each student (as determined by the NMSU Financial Aid and Scholarship Office). (The maximum annual S-STEM award is $ 10,000.)
Eligibility Requirements for the S-STEM Scholarship:
- NMSU or transfer student (currently enrolled at NMSU)
- S. citizen, permanent resident, or alien refugee
- Minimum 2.7 cumulative grade point average (NMSU or transfer institution)
- Completion of the following NMSU courses (or transfer equivalent) with C grade or higher:
- CHEM 110 or CHEM 111 or CHEM 115
- ENGR 100 (or equivalent grade for major)
- MATH 121
- Enrollment in 15 or more credit hours per eligible semester
- Engineering major (Engineering Physics included)
- Demonstration of financial need through submitted 2017-18 FAFSA application
- Five or six semesters remaining prior to graduation
Priority Deadline: July 21, 2017 (application review begins July 24, 2017)
For more information regarding the NSF S-STEM scholarship program at NMSU, please visit the website at nmamp.nmsu.edu/nmsu-s-stem-program/. The online application is available at nmamp.nmsu.edu/s-stem-application/.
Please note that a letter of recommendation from a faculty is required. Any questions may be directed to me or S-STEM Specialist Trina Hartshorne at (575) email@example.com.
Paola Bandini, Ph.D., P.E.
Wells-Hatch Associate Professor of Civil Engineering
Civil Engineering Department
New Mexico State University
Las Cruces, NM 88003-8001
Office phone: (575)646-2471