Seek verbal approval from the faculty member before completing this form.
When asking for a recommendation letter, recognize that the author of such a letter typically answers the following questions, roughly in this order:
- What is the purpose of this letter?
- In what capacity and for how long have you known the individual?
- How strong are the individual’s communication skills?
- What is your perception of this individual’s academic potential or observed performance?
- How did the individual perform in courses you taught?
- Does this person demonstrate a strong work ethic? Have they maintained employment?
- In what capacity and to what extent does this individual perform service to the community, discipline, department, university? Is the individual “active” and/or an “officer” in AICHE, E-Council, ASNMSU, NSPE, OXE, SWE, SHPE?
- What is the potential for this individual to perform research and/or teach?
- Overall recommendation based on depth and extent of knowledge you have about the individual.
The more of these questions the author can answer, the stronger the letter you will receive.