Hi and Happy Monday,
Shmaltz Brewing Company is currently hiring a Head Brewer/Director of Brewery Operations. If you could share with some of your alumni, that would be much appreciated. A description will be included below as well as a job posting.
Thanks so much!
Come join – and lead! – the Shmaltz Brewing tribe in our fast growing production brewery located in Upstate NY in the town of Clifton Park. We brew nearly 30,000 barrels of a wide spectrum of beers including ales and lagers, a slew of both IPAs and malt-forward styles, high abv extreme beers and balanced sessionable offerings, barrel-aged beers and sours. We brew all of our own proprietary brands under multiple beer lines (Shmaltz/He’brew Beer, Alphabet City, 518/838 Craft, and the licensed Star Trek lineup), currently distributed in over 30 states. We also contract brew for a select number of other highly regarded regional and national breweries. We are looking to add a dynamic, experienced, and professional full time Head Brewer / Director of Brewing Operations to lead our growing team!
This position will oversee all brewing, packaging, and maintenance as well as ensure implementation of all standard operating procedures to maintain consistency, quality and efficiency throughout the production process. As the leader of the brewery management team, this position will work with other department managers to develop and achieve our company wide goals. A thorough understanding of all aspects of beer production, including grain handling, yeast management, filtration, packaging and QA/QC is required. This position reports directly to the President and Founder.
- Supervise operation of a 50-bbl JVNW 4-vessel system, a 20-head CFT bottle filler, a 12-head Palmer rotary canning line, Lambrechts kegger.
- With the Production Manager, Brewing Supervisor and Packaging Manager, ensure that Standard Operating Procedures are adhered to and improved upon whenever possible.
- Hold all team members accountable to operate within brewery procedures.
- Work with management team on production planning and forecasting.
- Oversee key sourcing and raw material relationships critical for our core beers.
- Maintain brewing, cellaring, packaging and other related documentation in an organized and complete manner.
- Maintain brewing areas to ensure operations comply with Quality, Sanitation and Safety standards.
- Identify areas of increased operational efficiencies and drive continuous improvement culture throughout production team.
- Manage and expand fresh and sour barrel-aging program.
- Consider ERP solutions such as Orchestrated Beer or other brewery management software to streamline ordering, scheduling, and improve overall efficiency of production.
- With the Lab /QC manager, develop and review quality reports/statistics to ensure consistent, quality finished goods.
- Ensure compliance with all Alcohol and Tobacco, Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) standards and required documentation.
- Conducts annual performance reviews with all direct reports.
- Lead the creative process for recipe development and new product experimentation across all our branded beers.
- Engage our family of contract brewers throughout the production process.
- 3-5+ years of experience leading a craft brewery of 20,000+ bbls annual production
- 7-10+ years in the brewing industry
- Significant experience managing barrel-aging program
- Degree in Brewing Science or related field; advanced degree preferred.
- Proven leadership skills with ability to coach, inspire and motivate a growing team.
- High level of attention to detail and strong communication skills.
- Compensation based on experience. Benefits include PTO, Health, Dental, Vision, and a tasty supply of delicious and diverse beers!
Please email resume with cover letter and salary history to email@example.com with the subject “Head Brewer / Director of Brewery Operations.” Your cover letter should include why you would like to join the Shmaltz team, an homage to one of your current favorite beers, and why you are the ideal candidate to run our brewery. Seriously, we read cover letters – and can’t wait to meet you. L’Chaim — Cheers!