Undergraduate Students

advising party spring 2014The Department of Chemical & Materials Engineering sponsors an Undergraduate Advising Party each semester approximately one week before registration begins (watch for it in the CHME calendar).  Students attending this party enjoy dinner on the department while being advised about course requirements for the next semester by the CHME faculty and student leaders.  Watch for a post with details to the electronic calendar in advance of the event.

Find out when you can begin registering by viewing the schedule on the Registration website.

STudent Academic Requirements (STAR) audit system

starYou can see your progress towards the BSCHE using the STAR Audit System.  After logging into the STAR audit system, populate the dropdown menus as shown in the screen shot.  Select “Catalog Year” to be the year in which you started in CHME (i.e., declared CHME your major), or any year after that time (if the requirements change and it is to your advantage to use a new catalog, you are welcome to do so).

Note that the STAR system is a tool, not the law.  Errors do occur in the system and thus the audit should be interpreted by an advisor.  The CHME Department Head will request exceptions to correct such errors when they are identified.

When selecting the catalog year of your audit, you may follow the catalog of the year you began at NMSU or any subsequent catalog; however, you are not permitted to apply catalogs from years prior to your admission to NMSU. Undergraduate CHME students will find relatively simple to follow flowsheets for the BSCHE degree from catalogs under the /Curricula/Undergrad/ link above.

Be sure to set “Format” to PDF.  Include your Aggie ID prominently in your email so Carol can quickly find your name in Banner and lift your advising hold, otherwise there will have to be another email exchange to get that information.  DO NOT take screen shots and assemble them into a *.docx file.

Individualized and Online Advising

If you are unable to attend the schedule advising party or if  you prefer to work through email, you may work directly with the CHME Department Head to complete your advising requirements by completing the online CHME advising form.  This form will give you the option to schedule a face-to-face meeting if you wish.

Registration errors/problems

If you encounter trouble adding courses through after you have been advised to take them, send an email to and include: (1) your full name; (2) your Aggie ID#; (3) course prefix (e.g., CHME, CHEM, BIOL,…), course number, and CRN of the course(s) you are trying to add; and (4) the degree audit you provided during advising or a signed advising form (item 4 not applicable to graduate students, who should copy their research advisor on the email).

Math Placement Matrix June 2016 (002)Initial Mathematics and English Placement

Initial placement in Math and English are determined by a combination of High School GPA and ACT score, or by performance on the Math Placement Exam (MPE), offered by the Math Department.  See the placement grid image inset on this page.

Students will not receive advising from CHME until ready to enroll in MATH 190.  Students who have math deficiencies and must take courses prior to MATH 190 should report to Goddard Hall to be advised by the College of Engineering Associate Dean of Academics or designated advisor.

ENGR 100 enrollment

ENGR 100 is designed to retain students in the College of Engineering.  Any CHME student who has completed a semester (minimum of 12 credit hours) of coursework (including AP credit from high school) is considered retained, and with permission from the CHME Department Head (documented by email) may substitute an upper-division elective for ENGR 100.  This will permit retained students to apply these 3 credit hours toward the pursuit of a minor-of-study, prerequisites for the combined MBA degree path, or simply to take a course of interest to the student that will advance the student’s career and credentials.  

It is not expected that the student will substitute this course in their freshman year.  Rather, the student should continue to take their fundamental MATH, CHEM, PHYS, BIOL, Area I/VI/V courses through their freshman and sophomore years and work with the department head to identify a suitable substitution course when they reach the upper division courses of their junior or senior year.

Alternative general (inorganic) CHEM sequence

The requirement of CHEM 115/116 can also be met by taking CHEM 111/112/217.  The latter sequence is 11 credit hours (compared to 8 credit hours with the former) and includes three wet labs (instead of two).  The CHEM 111/112/217 sequence is typically followed by (1) students who are not math-ready for CHEM 115; (2) transferred chemistry courses from another institution for which credit for CHEM 111/112 was awarded; (3) changed majors into CHME after having already completed CHEM 111/112.

Approved, ENGR, Natural Science Electives

In general, courses that fulfill the Engineering and Natural Science Elective requirements of some catalogs are 300-level and above, and must have as a co- or prerequisite CHEM 111/115 or MATH 191G.  Note that the MATH 191G prerequisite may be implicit for some courses (such as PHYS 217, which has a stated prereq of PHYS 215G, which in turn has a prereq of MATH 191G).

Other courses will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Students seeking elective credit for a course that does not have the stated prereq requirement must provide written request (email acceptable) to the CHME Department Head providing justification for why an exception should be made.

The Chemical & Materials Engineering (CHME) electives are identified on the CHME syllabi page.

Viewing a Wider World

 Three credit hours of the six are waived by a section found in the catalog entitled Alternatives for Meeting Viewing a Wider World Requirements which states, “Students taking nine or more credits in a specific subject area, even though the courses are not designated as Viewing a Wider World courses, will have met the VWW requirements for that subject area.  The 9 credit hours must be in 300- to 400-level courses in one prefix area.”  Students matriculating on the BSCHE fulfill this requirement with the sequence of courses CHEM 313, 314, and 433.

The catalog further states, “One of the courses (3 credits) can be replaced by study abroad experience, consisting of at least four weeks of a Study Abroad program or university coursework in a foreign country earning 3 credits.”

Courses with labs

A number of the required courses for CHME students require a lab component.

When registering for CHEM 111, 112, 115, or 116, you will select a lecture section (shown below as M01) and a lab section (shown as M1A and M1B).  This is a single course that has two components, but leads to one 4-credit hour grade.

CHEM 116

When registering for PHYS 215, 215L, 216, and 216L or BIOL 211G and 211GL, you must select both a lecture and lab, but these are two independent courses.

PHYS 215

Adding/Dropping a course

To add a course after the ADD deadline or drop a course before the W deadline, you will need to complete the Change of Schedule form, get all instructor signatures, then bring it to the CHME office.

You obtain the CRN number, section number, etc from

Finding Mini-mester courses

  1. Log into
  2. Select “Student” along the horizontal menu.
  3. Select “Look up Classes” from the QuickLinks.
  4. Select the Term and click on the Submit button.
  5. Select “First 8 Weeks” and/or “Second 8 Weeks” in the “Part of Term” area of the form, then click on the “Selection Search” button.
  6. When you visit the office to add a mini-mester course, it’s a good idea to have a couple of alternatives selected as the few decent courses in this offering tend to fill rapidly.

Retroactive Registration Changes

  1. Complete a Petition for Retroactive Registration Changes and an add/drop slip.
  2. Original signature from the instructor and advisor is required on both add slip & form for approval of request to be processed.
  3. Hand-deliver form & add slip to COE Registration, Goddard Hall Room 106

Graduate Students

CHME Graduate Students should seek advice about core courses from the Graduate Student Coordinator (Dr. Luo).  Graduate elective courses should be selected in coordination with the student’s research advisor to compliment the thesis/dissertation research.